valcom130

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Millennials

Once I finished reading the “Millennials” article, one of the statements that jumped out at me was how my age group drank less alcohol, and smoked fewer cigarettes than earlier generations. This statement surprises me because I thought alcohol has become a big issue in our age bracket. I disagree with the statement since I believe people who are in my age group have drunk more than before. Also, this generation will try to use alcohol at a younger age because those “kids” want to be like everyone else. Since some peers and legal adults do it, people in our age bracket want to do it even more.
An issue I agree with is how we have to have a constant use of text messaging or “IM-ing.” Throughout my day, I see people using their phones because they just received a text message or IM. Then, the person text messages or IM’s back to the person who sent it. I see people doing it throughout the class. While the teacher is talking, I watch them hide their phones under the desk when they are text messaging someone.
However, most of the statements about the Millennials is true about me. I have been using computer technology since I have been a little kid. I never read newspapers or magazines unless I had to for class. I did focus on my achievement throughout my life through work and school. Currently, I do not own an iPod, iPhone or Blackberry. My advice to the older generation is to reach out and communicate by keep on trying to learn new things.
The elderly might find the technology a little pointless, but one should try to use it at least once. It will surprise you what people can come up with nowadays, and how it makes our life somewhat easier everyday. To our generation, respect authority, because the older generation can teach us things we never knew about our world, or they can show us how not to make the same mistake they once made.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home